First posted 29 May, 2020
Want to have better control and get your Salmonella spp., Listeria spp. and Listeria monocytogenes results faster?
Symbio Laboratories is now NATA accredited for qualitative Salmonella spp., Listeria spp. and Listeria monocytogenes detection by Multiplex real-time PCR (Multiplex rtPCR) in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth! With this new accreditation and our recent implementation of molecular biology robotics, Symbio can provide accurate, reliable and fast results with advantages over other traditional or rapid techniques widely used within the food and environmental testing industry.
What is Multiplex rtPCR?
PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) is a molecular laboratory technique that amplifies a targeted DNA/RNA template within a sample. With Multiplex rtPCR, this amplification can be done for multiple DNA/RNA templates in a single run and be monitored in real-time, eliminating the need for post-PCR processing and allowing a quicker result to be obtained.
Benefits of Multiplex rtPCR and what it means for you:
Some of the benefits of Multiplex rtPCR over our other qualitative Salmonella spp., Listeria spp. and Listeria monocytogenes detection methods include:
- Suitable for almost all food and environmental samples including swabs (not suitable for Export Meat samples (DAWR Verification samples) or meat & bone meal samples);
- Fast turnaround time – Negative or presumptive results available in 24 hours;
- Fast conclusive results of presumptive positives: Symbio utilises MALDI-ToF for the confirmation of presumptive results, a cutting edge technology which facilitates the reporting of confirmed results in just another 24 hours – no need to wait 4-5 days for pathogen confirmation;
- Supports high volume testing – no testing delays;
- Highly selective methods – expect fewer presumptive positive results as rtPCR is not affected by samples containing background flora – a common issue of ELISA based techniques;
- Reduced swab requirement – using Multiplex, Salmonella spp., Listeria spp. and Listeria monocytogenes results can be obtained from a single swab saving you sampling time and money;
- Cheaper option over other rapid alternatives (e.g. ELISA based techniques) – contact us for a quote today!