Symbio Laboratories is committed to supporting Australian organisations and consumers alike by providing cost-effective allergen testing services to meet Australia’s strong food safety and quality standards.
Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ), the statutory authority for food standards, requires the mandatory declaration of certain substances and their products when they are present in:
- An ingredient; or
- An ingredient of a compound ingredient; or
- A food additive or a component of a food additive; or
- A processing aid or a component of a processing aid.
For most packaged foods, the information must appear on the label. In other cases, the information must be shown with the food displayed or provided to consumers on request.
FSANZ also requires the mandatory declaration of:
- cereals containing gluten and their products, namely, wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt and their hybridised strains
- crustacea and their products
- egg and egg products
- fish and fish products
- milk and milk products
- peanuts and soybeans and their products
- added sulphites in concentrations of 10 mg/kg or more .